Reseña

Designer Exotic Atoms and Molecules to Unravel the Mysteries of the Universe

Ganador Ciencias Exactas, Físicas y Naturales - 2021

AUTOR: Ronald Fernando Garcia Ruiz, Assistant Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA

“El área de la física está al borde de una revolución científica. Nuestras teorías y experimentos más precisos aún no pueden explicar el origen de la materia y los elementos químicos en el universo. Ahora sabemos que el universo visible es tan solo el 5% de toda la materia, y muy poco sabemos de las propiedades del restante 95% a lo que los físicos llaman la materia y energía “oscura”.

En nuestros desarrollos científicos buscamos dar respuestas a estas preguntas a través del estudio de átomos y moléculas creadas a partir de núcleos radioactivos. Muchos de estos núcleos exóticos son creados en explosiones estelares y no existen en el planeta, debido a que sus tiempos de vida pueden ser tan cortos como una fracción de segundo. Así que para estudiarlos debemos recrear estas explosiones estelares en laboratorios especializados como el CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research (Suiza), FRIB - Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (USA), o TRIUMF - Canada's particle accelerator centre (Canadá). Un gran reto adicional es que solo se pueden producir en cantidades muy pequeñas, como unos pocos átomos o moléculas por segundo.

En los últimos años, el profesor Garcia Ruiz y colaboradores han desarrollado técnicas experimentales de espectroscopia láser que han logrado producir y estudiar estas nuevas formas de materia, obteniendo récords mundiales en precisión y sensitividad.  A través de estudios de espectroscopia láser de precisión de átomos y moléculas radioactivas, los descubrimientos liderados por el profesor Garcia Ruiz han proporcionado una visión única de la aparición de fenómenos nucleares y las propiedades de la materia nuclear en los límites de existencia.

Sus resultados y desarrollos experimentales han contribuido a abrir nuevas rutas en la exploración del núcleo atómico, las fuerzas fundamentales de la naturaleza, y la búsqueda de entender el origen de la materia y los elementos en el universo.”

------------

“The field of physics is on the verge of a scientific revolution. Our most precise theories and experiments still cannot explain the origin of matter and chemical elements in the universe. We now know that the visible universe is only 5% of all matter, and we know very little about the properties of the remaining 95% that physicists call "dark" matter and energy.

In our scientific developments we seek to answer these questions through the study of atoms and molecules created from radioactive nuclei. Many of these exotic nuclei are created in stellar explosions and do not exist on the planet, because their lifetimes can be as short as a fraction of a second. So to study them we must recreate these stellar explosions in specialized laboratories such as CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research (Switzerland), FRIB - Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (USA), or TRIUMF - Canada's Particle Accelerator Centre (Canada). An additional major challenge is that they can only be produced in very small quantities, such as a few atoms or molecules per second.

In recent years, Professor Garcia Ruiz and collaborators have developed experimental laser spectroscopy techniques that have succeeded in producing and studying these new forms of matter, obtaining world records in precision and sensitivity. Through precision laser spectroscopy studies of radioactive atoms and molecules, the discoveries led by Professor Garcia Ruiz have provided unique insight into the emergence of nuclear phenomena and the properties of nuclear matter at the limits of existence.

His results and experimental developments have contributed to opening new routes in the exploration of the atomic nucleus, the fundamental forces of nature, and the quest to understand the origin of matter and the elements in the universe.”